We love shopping at Costco, I mean who else doesn't love sample saturday?? They are really smart to give you little tastings of the food because then they get you hooked and end up walking out with way more things than you came in for. That's exactly how we discovered the tasty Kirkland Signature Costco extra lean turkey burgers - they were featured at a sample station and we decided to give them a try. They are pretty good on their own, but we wanted to make them extra gourmet so we gave it our own spin on an amazing blue cheese burger and this has quickly become one of our favorite week night dinners. Hope you enjoy!
30 minutes / 2 servings
| INGREDIENTS |
2 Kirkland Signature [Costco] turkey burgers
1/3 cup blue cheese [Feta is also good]
1/8 cup parmesan cheese [dry powder]
1 tsp minced or crushed garlic
1 tsp lemon juice [or distilled white vinegar]
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 white onion
guacamole mix [or salt and garlic powder]
1 TBSP vegetable oil
| INSTRUCTIONS |
1. Set out turkey burgers to thaw. [ May thaw in a microwave, BUT ONLY use a low powered thawing setting and watch carefully so the microwave does not cook the turkey meat. It cooks very fast. If it does, then it will be very difficult to mix in ingredients and form into a patty. It is ok if the turkey patty is still a little hard, just as long as you can break the meat and mix with hand ].
2. Slice 1/2 onion into thin rings. In a sauce pan over medium heat, add 1 tsp vegetable oil and 1/8 cup water. Add onions and cook 15 minutes until opaque, slightly browning and water is evaporated. [For extra tasty burger, caramelize the onions by adding a large spoonful of sugar while cooking].
3. Add 1 tsp vegetable oil to a large non-stick skillet and heat over medium [ pre-heating for burgers ].
4. While onions are cooking, take the 2 thawed turkey burgers and hand mix in: blue cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon juice, onion powder and salt. When well mixed, break into 2 even pieces, roll them each into a ball and smash each one into a flattened patty [ 1/2 thick ].
5. In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, place the 2 patties [ 1 each if the skillet is smaller ] in the skillet and cover with a lid. (Each side should cook for about 5 minutes. Before removing, make sure the burger is cooked and white in color all the way through, by taking a knife and making a small cut in the middle to see if is is done ].
6. In a separate bowl, smash up an avocado and then add diced tomato to make guacamole. Season with guacamole packet mix or salt and garlic powder, to taste.
5. When the 2 turkey burgers are cooked, onions are grilled, and guacamole is mixed, place each patty onto a plate and garnish by spreading the guacamole onto the burger and top with onions. [ Pairs well with a Dirty Dr. Pepper ]